Thursday, September 11, 2008

Commercial Terminator

OK, I keep promising myself to start this blog, but never get around to it. Maybe starting with some fun stuff will do it :)

So I did a little Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles marathon last night on hulu.com, and I'm grooving to the show. The unresolved time-travel issue still bugs the back of my head, but OMFG is Summer Glau hawt. Loved her since Firefly, especially that scene in Serenity where she whupped a whole frelling Reaver army. Also the music choices were inspired, in particular the Johny Cash tune in the finale and the Samson & Delilah song in the 2nd season premier (took me a while to find that one, but I'm listening to it now - nice).

Now here we get to the title of this post: They had one commercial they ran at every interstitial break in the shows. Given that I saw 10 episodes, with like 5 breaks in each, I must have seen the commercial 50 times last night. And I saw it again today when I caught the Fringe premiere (which had me until the end, but that's for another post). And as the commercial was running through I realized I had no idea what product this commercial was for.

This isn't even the usual complaint that the commercial sucked. I actually liked it. It was funny, had some cute child actors, effective visuals, and memorable voice work by the mom/narrator, and I knew it was for a cell phone, a carrier, and computer store stocking the phone with the carrier's service) (do the three split the commercial costs?) - but I had no idea which of any of three categories. Still don't. Can they build their brand that way?

Any way, now I made it over the first post hurdle, more to come :)

No comments: